Sundays sermon in short…
Why do Christians cherry pick certain parts of the Bible and ignore other parts of Gods law?
- Leviticus 18:22 Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.
- Leviticus 19:26 Do not practice divination or magic.
- Leviticus 19:28 Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves
- Deuteronomy 22:5 A woman must not wear men’s clothing, nor a man wear women’s clothing.
But how often do we obey these laws?
- Deuteronomy 13:6 – 9 (Stoning your children) If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known,7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other),8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them.9 You must certainly put them to death.
- Leviticus 19:27 “‘Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
- Deuteronomy 22:11 (What we wear) Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together
- Leviticus 11:7 And the pig, though it has a divided hoof, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you.
- Leviticus 11:10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean.
- We try our best to live pure lives that are acceptable to Gods standard, the bible says in Numbers 15:15 and Deuteronomy 4:2 that the law is permanent for all future generations. You must add nothing to it or take anything away from it. God did not give the law to people so they could keep it and earn their way into his grace ; instead He gave the law to show us his holy standard. Those who made aware of their sin are ready for a Saviour. Through the law, God set the bar so high that nobody is able to keep it Romans 3:10
but… people do not go to Hell for sinning; they go to Hell for rejecting Jesus
- Jesus ascended into Heaven, presented his own blood before the Father and said “Done!” People are to busy trying to define what sin is, deciding what parts of the Old Testament still apply today, the truth is Jesus was the fulfilment of the Old Testament – everything in the Old Testament pointed to Christ and under the new covenant, the law has passed away (2 Corinthians 3:13) – we are not under law but under Grace (Romans 6:14)
- 1 John 3:6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin.